Mashed foods (was Re: SC - Corned meat)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 19 16:34:50 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

I posted an answer to this question yesterday but I don't think it got onto the
list for some reason.>:-(  Here it is again, plus I've added some more stuff
about faggots for all of you (all below), and I've included a recipe for them.

Elysant

> I've looked up *faggots* in the dictionary and my few other meager food
>sources and I cannot find this term as related to food.  Does anybody know
>what faggots means in terms of food?

Absolutely!

They are largish meatballs made from minced liver onions and spices.  Usually
baked, together with a rich gravy, and are individually wrapped in an "apron"
or the "omentum" (?sp) (- i.e. the transparent layer that covers the
intestines of the animal) to cook because they are very tender and apt to
fall apart.  The omentum is removed gently before serving.

They are quite delicious!

I have a recipe...

this recipe (strangely) doesn't use "aprons".

1 1/2 lbs pig's liver, 4 oz. breadcrumbs, 3 oz suet, 2 large onions,
1 or 2 teaspoons of sage (chopped), 2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Mince raw liver and onions into a bowl.  Mix with breadcrumbs, suet, salt and
pepper and sage thoroughly.  Form into small balls.  Bake in a moderate oven
for about 30 minutes.  Pour boiling water into the tin to form gravy.

BTW In Britain they are usually served as an entree with mushy or processed
marrowfat peas, and are a quite popular "pub" dish - "Faggots and Peas"

And you can buy them frozen in the supermarket these days.

In the north of England (Lancs, Yorks) they are known as Savoury Ducks instead
of Faggots.  Sometimes instead of just the liver, a combination of different
offal is used in them. Because everything is minced, the faggots do have a
texture similar to a wet meatloaf.

Elysant