SC - Questions for the list...

Margo Farnsworth margokeiko at esslink.com
Wed Jan 20 09:24:37 PST 1999

Nope--there were two.  It was a fight to get my hands on them
since I was sitting at head table and the king kept bogarting
the condiments ;-)  but there was a very thin, but reasonably
hot mustard, and then the cameline stuff.  I was horrifying
the queen by applying both liberally to almost everything on
my plate and taste testing.

The apples *were* incredible.  We had great servers, too.

Berengaria

Mike Young wrote:

> Camiline WITH mustard-not two different sauces but TOGETHER.
> (I'm slow...just remember I DID finally figure it out:-)
> gwyneth

Hmmm...Cameline with Mustard? Are you sure?

Cameline is usually a rather thin sauce, generally made with raisins or
currants, a lot of cinnamon [canel, hence the name] , with broth from
boiled meat or gravy (juice) from roast meat stirred in to thin it down.
It can be thickened, as I recall, by forcing it through a strainer, so
the dried fruit is partially pureed into it.

I've occasionally seen some interesting compound sauces (garlic jance
being a favorite) but I've never run into this one before. It's
possible, I suppose.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --