SC - Questions for the list...

William Seibert a14h at zebra.net
Wed Jan 20 10:43:44 PST 1999

	From: "Mór  Dhàna" < <mailto:mor.dhana at eudoramail.com>
mor.dhana at eudoramail.com>
	Subject: SC - 14th Century Food

	This isn't just a shameless plug for my website! I would really
appreciate it if someone (or ones) could take a look at my compilation of
14th Century food available and let me know if I'm totally off base with
anything. Thank you very much! Link is below.
	- ---
	Mór Dhàna
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/1552/food2.html">14th Century Food</a>

I agree with Adamantius and Ras, overall.  This page would be more useful if
you explained the scope geographically at the beginning, and also that you
gathered a list of ingredients from known recipes. Other sources might add
foods, information.

I'm not sure the "miscellaneous" category is useful.  Hartshorn was used as
a leavening, if you include it why not have yeast listed?  "Pasta" is a food
item, not an ingredient as the others are; why not list bread also?
Gelatin, as Adamantius said, is not an ingredient such as one buys nowadays.

Currants may be eaten and used fresh, not just dried.  Ham and bacon are
parts of pig, do you need to list them separately when you do not list, eg,
roast and steaks also separately?  I am not sure that tuna was eaten in
period, it doesn't seem to be from the right places (could be wrong).
Onions and leeks are vegetables, and horseradish is not a spice.  You left
out rue and tansy.

Lastly, it would be more useful if the items were in alphabetical order in
the categories.

Under "Sources," I hope you are going to actually list the sources so that
people who are curious can look up recipes and information for themselves.

Nice start!

							---= Morgan

	           |\     THIS is the cutting edge of technology!
<mailto:Hablutzel at compuserve.com> Hablutzel at compuserve.com
	                   Morgan Cely Cain * Steppes, Ansteorra

	                     May God have mercy on my enemies
	                     For they shall certainly need it.

	      For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

                I intend to live forever -- so far, so good!