SC - Event Announcement-OT-OOP-SCA

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Jan 20 18:46:43 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/20/99 9:56:18 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
Deborah.Schumacher at iac.honeywell.com writes:

>  2.One of the site restrictions is  no ground fires. On of the classes being
>  held is Adapting Period Recipes for Open Fire/Dutch Oven Cooking  any idea
>  how this can be done with out violating the no ground fires rule?

It's not period, but the cheap and easy solution our household came up with
was a fifty-five gallon drum.
We cut it in half vertically, forming two semi-cylinders.  Added angle iron
for framing and legs.  Bought some commercial grade metal food quality
shelving, second hand, for grills.  Drilled a hole about 2 1/2 inches in
diameter near the bottom of one end of each half.  Voila!  Two ready made fire
pits, off the ground, at a handy height for the cook, and they dismantle
easily for transport.

On another note, but still about Estrella, I doubt if I shall be able to
participate in the cook-off.  I have been seriously ill for several weeks now,
and it does not appear that I shall recover sufficiently in time for the kind
of preparation I would need.  I do still intend to attend, but right now it
looks as if my participation shall not be as full as I would wish.  My House
has been very supportive through my illness, and understand to the extent that
they are only expecting me to prepare one meal (the Saturday night feast,
which is traditionally our big feast of the War).  They have also promised me
plenty of willing hands to do as I direct for the meal rather than allowing me
to do all the hands on work myself.  My Head of House plans to come set up my
encampment himself, because of my physical limitations.  I am very grateful to
my SCA family for all the help they are offering, because without them I would
not be able to even daytrip, with them I hope to be able to spend the entire
six days on site.
I am looking forward to placing faces with a lot of friends from the list.
If you wish to look me up, we are planning on camping across from Calontir and
Outlands in the  northwest section of the encampment.  We'll be camped with
Viscount Don Maestro Christopher Ruben Montoya.  Look for a bunch of colorful
parachute pavilions (mine is the color of woad).  We are Warrior Haven, and
our device is a Manticore, Sable, on a field, Or, with ermines, argent.  Just
ask anyone in camp for "the cook."

Mordonna DuBois
Warrior Haven
Atenveldt