Vastly OT, OOP - Re: SC - New pet peeve

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jan 21 13:43:34 PST 1999

> >I agree.  Why can't people get the idea that y'all is a contraction of "you
> >all"?
>
> Well "you" _is_ the plural of "you", so the "all" part is _very_ redundant,
> and _not_ needed.  Why not just use "you"???

Why, good sir, to differentiate between you, just you, just little ol'
you, and you, all you in the room, you all over there. Just because
something is redundant doesn't mean it's not helpful.

To use an out-of-period example, a Northerner once said to a Southerner,
"You let them go." His comment was directed at one person. However,
hundreds of Southerners thought he was using the plural you and took great
offense. What should have been a family feud ended up being a civil war.
It all could have been avoided if the Northerner had used y'all.

~Maedb
- - tongue in cheek! I swear! no offense intended! -