SC - Showing a little respect (was Vegetable Warners)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jan 21 13:45:54 PST 1999

> We were just having this discussion this week about raspberries.  I am
> led to believe that they are a hybrid from this century.  ???
> 	Christianna

The raspberry (Rubus idaeus) is native to the northern forests of Europe,
Asia, and America.  The North American raspberry is the variant strigosus.
The European raspberry was imported into North America in the 16th Century.
Commercial raspberries have been hybridized to resist various plant
diseases.

The blackberry (Rubus occidentalis) is native to Eastern North America,
however the term blackberry has been used to describe the dark colored fruit
of other members of the genus Rubus.

R.idaeus and R. occidentalis can be cross bred.

Bear