SC - Cookery-Art or Science

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddcae99.fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Jan 22 10:29:37 PST 1999

In a message dated 99-01-22 02:32:10 EST, Stefan wrote:

<< A Dash of Mustard Katie Holder & Jane Newdick  History of mustard from
 > Roman times to modern, 50 recipes etc >>

I bought this one a few months back.  Wonderful coffee table book.  Great
pictures.   Historical information provided, but no bibliography, so you
pretty much have to take their word for it.  Earliest (in their words) mustard
recipe given from De Re Rustica by Columella.  There are some cool historical
pictures, though, including an artist's rendering of the Ancient Kitchen at
Windsor Castle, done in 1816, which shows a nifty scene of activity in this
huge cavern of a room.  I don't know whether the kitchen at Windsor was
pre-1600 construction, but I'm willing to bet it was.

The rest of the recipes in the book are marvelous concoctions, with pretty
pictures.  No historicity.  Modern recipes from modern kitchens and cooks.
Valid as a spiffy 20th-century cookbook.  The onion & rosemary focaccia
w/black mustard seed in the bread is just scrumptious.

The authors are Katy Holder (she wrote the recipes), a home economist and
writer, and Jane Newdick, a freelance journalist & writer specializing in
interiors & gardens, flowers and foods.  Has a book called Period Flowers to
her credit (no, I haven't got it, so I don't know what period it discusses,
but if it's like Period Houses, it includes a lotta centuries).

My prime beef (with or without mustard) is the lack of a bibliography.  To her
credit, the writer of the non-recipe material has, in some cases, given you
the source in the actual writing, but, hey, I've got this thing about knowing
where ALL the info came from.

Great cookbook, especially for mustard lovers.  Tells you how to grow and make
your own mustard.  And the recipes are quite yummy.  From this cookbook
collector, a general thumbs up.

Walk in peace,
Wolfmother