SC - Cassia bark vs Cinnamon

grasse@mscd.edu grasse at mscd.edu
Fri Jan 22 15:00:27 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/22/99 9:00:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Karin.Oughton at geis.ge.com writes:

<< Can anyone explain the difference between Cassia Bark and cinnamon? - I
 thought they were fairly synonymous until recently when I stuck cassia bark
 into mulled wine instead of cinnamon sticks by accident and the resultant
 brew was hideous.

 karin >>

Cassia is what is normally available in the supermarkets labeled as 'cinnamon'
It's flavor is harsh and dominating with a burning bitter aftertaste. The
sticks themselves are very hard and the layers are very thick. When ground it
produces a very deep reddish-brown powder.

True cinnamon is more subtle in flavor and has a definite sweet after taste.
The sticks are very brittle and are composed of numerous layers of almost
paper thin bark. When ground it is lighter is color.

Each type comes from a different species of cinnamon tree.

If you want a subtle, sweet almost perfumy flavor that reminds you of  the
rapture of a harp or an elusive flute solo then True cinnamon is for you. If
you prefer the effect of a brass band then cassia would be your choice. :-)

Ras