SC - mustard sauce

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Jan 23 20:01:30 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/23/99 3:58:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
CONRAD3 at prodigy.net writes:

<< Yes these do look similar to what I saw, but the ones I saw were dried
 beans. >>

In my previous post I said that lupines were poisonous and miust be cooked
before eating to render the poison harmless. This is only partially correct.
Of the 100+ species of lupines, the white lupine has been bred to produce a
few non-poisonous
varieties. The others are still grown, however, so caution would be the best
route when using these beans because variety is not usually listed on the
package.

Historical additions:

Although these  legumes grew wild in Italy and Greece and were collected and
used by both cultures, they were not cultivated until the Roman empire. They
were considered a food for the poor and great cauldrons of them were prepared
for the poor on certain festival days. By the beginning of the Italian
Renaissance , they disappear from culinary tomes and are not  mentioned again
until after that period.

Toussant-Samat in History of Food talks about them a little. Poisinous
properties  and a minor amount of history was mentioned in The Visual Food
Encyclopedia.

Although considered by many in the Current Middle Ages to be at best an
Italian ethnic food, the vast majority of gardeners today grow them for there
beautiful white, mauve and pink  flowers, for which they have been known
throughout history.

Ras