SC - Salt in Period recipes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Jan 23 19:39:42 PST 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> To my knowledge there are few recipes from the middle ages that list salt as
> an ingredient. I am of the opinion that this does not mean it wasn't used but
> rather that it was assumed that the cook would add it to taste. There are a
> couple of instances where this idea is intimated in period text but ,
> unfortunately the post to the list that spoke of this  seems to be lost in the
> jumbled file called SCA-cooks. :-(
>
> Does anyone recall what those references were or remember when/by whom they
> were posted?

I'm not sure if this is what you were thinking of, but I vaguely recall
Ein Buoch Von Guter Spise is full of cautions not to oversalt things, in
recipes that otherwise don't mention salt at all. I suppose in some
cases these could be recipes calling for fish or meats that may be used
in salted form... .

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --