SC - Gulf War

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Jan 24 16:31:54 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/24/99 1:02:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
alysk at ix.netcom.com writes:

<<  Or, am I  mistaken?>>

IMO, yes. At our feasts when the lights are turned on after 2 hrs. or so of
candlelight a general groan is heard throughout the hall. I am aware that some
shires or kingdoms provide lights for the tables BUT it would seem that it
would be a good thing if the general population in these shires were
encouraged to bring their own lighting then this problem would quickly rectify
itself. I have been to uncaountable feasts in both Aethelmearc and the East
where the custom is for diners to provide their own lightiong and have never
experienced the problem that you a are addressing. My own table always has at
least 8 candles, one for each diner, and I myself use a candlelabra carves
with Celtic designs that holds 5 candles. Most other people whoi sit at my
table provide at least 2 candles in holders. Now I may be a bit naive but if a
groupd at a table of 8 can't see sufficiently with 18 candles then there is
something that I am missing. Alternatively, if feasters expect a candle
provided by the shire then they would be eating in the dark if it weren't for
the charity of those of us who know that new people sometimes have need.

 << I will note in passing that there is a level of low light  that now gives
me headaches and eye strain. >>

can somewhat relate to this but , personally I have the opposite problem.
Flourescent lighting gives me massive migraines and appears very harsh and
distracting. Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that my family
didn't have electricity for the first 17 yrs. of my life and I was forced to
study by the light of oil lamps.

<<Is this a problem for anyone  else?>>

Possibly, but as I mentioned above , it is not a problem with anyone that i
dine with regularly. You have my sympathy. :-( The answer seems to be to pack
extra candles and holders in your feast gear.

One question though> what is the documentation thatn you are using to base
your apparent belief that medieval halls were lighted brighter than what you
call 'Victorian' ideas of lighting? Thanks in advance.

 <<Alys Katharine >>

Ras