SC - Ambiance: Was : Cookery-Art or Science

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Sun Jan 24 17:39:13 PST 1999

<snip>

O.K., I suppose I didn't make myself clear, since you're all fixating on
salt, & not the real issue here.

That is: why is this Strong Black Spice Mixture (of  black pepper, long
pepper (or additional black pepper), ground cloves, & nutmeg) being
substituted for the mostly *sweet* spices called for by Le Menagier?

If you recall Le Menagier calls for
(1) cinnamon, and more cinnamon, ginger, graine [of Paradise,] nutmegs and
galingale, and sugar,
or
(2) cinnamon,  ginger, cloves, cardamom, mace, galingale, nutmegs,
spikenard,and  sugar,
or
(3) saffron,ginger or galingale, grain of Paradise, mace, zedoary, cubebs,
spikenard, bay leaves, and nutmegs.

Does Redon suggest this Strong Black Spice Mixture?

And, btw, there are plenty of recipes that call for salt; even some that
call for no sauce but salt.

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net