SC - La nina?

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sun Jan 24 20:45:24 PST 1999

Hello!

>Over on the Calonnet, we've been dicussing the Soup Kitchen. One of the
>questions which came up was "why don't we make the food more period? This
>is one of the  answers we got. The soup, jerky (which doesn't that term
>come from the Carribian?) and stuff is fine, but I've tasted the
>buisquit/sausage/cheese ball and thought they were horrible tasting. I
>also can't recall (in my limited experence to be sure) seeing anything
>remotely similar to this in medieval recipes. (which reminds me; recieved
>Renfrow's 2nd ed. "Take a thousand eggs..., It's a really cool book,
>Cindy!)
>Beatrix (who is probably taking bigger bites than she can swallow, but
>what the hey?)
>Oakheart, Calontir
>Springfield, Mo
><snip>

Thanks!  I'm glad you like the books!  Turn to vol. 1, pp. 72-73 for a fish
Rapeye recipe.  These are really good when made in smaller, hand-size,
portions.  The recipes for Chewettes in vol.2  don't specify the filling
other than to say to use rissole filling, & there are lots of rissole
recipes. Also, the recipe for Raynolle[3], vol.2, p. 522, is pork & cheese
& spices, wrapped in dough & fried.  These should give you some ammunition
to work with.

>Admittedly the method of presentation--styrofoam cups, plastic baggies,
>etc.-- isn't period, but I think it would defeat a lot of the purpose to
>require people to provide their own bowls, etc. as for a feast, and the
>soup kitchen certainly can't take on the task of providing period-looking
>eating implements for folks.  The cleanup and transport problems boggle
>the
>mind, not to mention the expense.
<snip>

I know nothing of the layout of Estrella, but might it not be possible to
provide a bowl-washing station (big pot of hot soapy water, plus big pot of
rinse water) with servants to do the work, for those who bring their feast
gear, and to provide wooden bowls & spoons for those who do not?  (I used
to scour flea markets & yard sales for wooden bowls --never paid more than
25 cents for a bowl.)

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net