SC - Ambiance: Was : Cookery-Art or Science

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Mon Jan 25 01:43:00 PST 1999

Caitlen Ruadh asked:

> Reading this over, however, led me to a few questions - and answers,
> suggestions, guidance, etc would be great!
>
> 1) Most of the time, people use Cheddar for Armored Turnips.  Has anyone
> tried any other cheeses?  If so, which one's and how did it come out?

Looking through my turnips-msg file which has a number of recipes for
armored turnips, the recipes overwhelming use cheddar cheese.

Isobel fitz Gilbert said:
> We have had very good results using an equale amount of cheddar and
> mozzerella.

Ras then replied:
> Correct. I might add that if you choose mozzarella for armored turnips that a
> sprinkling of parmesan on each layer would vastly improve the flavor , raising
> it from insipid to memorable. ;-)

You might find some of the other comments in this file useful, also. Particularly
the comments on picking the right sized turnips.

> 2) Has anyone tried substituting a really good balsamic vinegar for
> verjuice?  Thoughts on how that might come out?  Specific reasons that's
> a bad idea?  (I know, that one isn't specifically related, but I was
> reading a recipe and thought that would be a yummy substitution....)

I'm not sure if that particular substitute is given, but there are others
and various opinions on them given in:
verjuice-msg      (33K)  8/ 3/98    Medieval verjuice. Modern substitutions.

If the concern is cost, upon reading this file you make think otherwise
when you realize what "real" balsamic vinegar can go for.
vinegar-msg       (28K) 10/ 1/98    Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.

> 3) Fritters - Platina has an ENTIRE chapter on the damned things.  Has
> anyone done them successfully for a feast of 100 or more?  If so, how
> did you do it?  How did you keep them both crispy and hot when doing so
> many?  Thoughts?

I think that problem has been discussed with various suggestions. I don't
remember that there was a real good solution. This file has some recipes
and discussion:
frittours-msg     (22K)  9/17/98    Period fried breaded foods. Recipes.

These files are all in the FOOD section of my Florilegium. Hope this
helps.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: