SC - Platina - questions

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Mon Jan 25 06:50:29 PST 1999

> 1) Most of the time, people use Cheddar for Armored Turnips.  Has anyone
> tried any other cheeses?  If so, which one's and how did it come out?

swiss raclette. yummy

> 2) Has anyone tried substituting a really good balsamic vinegar for
> verjuice?  Thoughts on how that might come out?  Specific reasons that's
> a bad idea?  (I know, that one isn't specifically related, but I was
> reading a recipe and thought that would be a yummy substitution....)

verjuice is sour, balsamic is sweet. i would substitute a wine vinegar in a
pinch, but might default to lemon juice for the sourness.

> 3) Fritters - Platina has an ENTIRE chapter on the damned things.  Has
> anyone done them successfully for a feast of 100 or more?  If so, how
> did you do it?  How did you keep them both crispy and hot when doing so
> many?  Thoughts?

did it in atlantia, but had a commercial fry well setup so I could actually put
out 1 tableworth at a crack from each well, 4 tables @ time, 12 tables. not an
appreciable wait time as we didn't have 1 server per table, but each server did
3 tables[can you tell i worked it out to suit the kitchen...]