SC - Ambiance: Was : Cookery-Art or Science

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun Jan 24 07:30:28 PST 1999

Hi all from Anne-Marie

We are told:
>Personally, I would love to have a feast where the feast is the reason for
the
>event, and the food hits the table starting at 1200, after the first course a
>bit of court with some other entertainment [an organized bout with swords or
>wrestling  and a bit of prearranged dancing by a group doing it as
entertainers,
>not open to the general audience] then another course, repeat the
intermission,
>then another course and keep it up til 5 or 6 when we clear the hall and
do open
>dancing and schmoozing with the banquette course set out on a sideboard. No
>classes, no sports, no a&s, just feast and frolic[frolic and detour for all
>those law types...;-)]

Here in the barony of Madrone (Seattle, WA) we hold at least one (often
several) events just like this. The biggests is prbably our Baronial
Banquet (if you're in town the first weekend of March, check it out! guess
who's the cuisinier!? :)).

Each year the program varies, but generally, the hall opens in the
afternoon, and we eat. There's a big court, and often a play (this year
will be a new Commedia del Arte that will be spread between the courses.
hooray!), dancing, games, and socialization. The order that these happen in
varies with the theme. We've done an all day "wander around the room and
pick up nibbly bits from various tables scattered around", we've done sit
down and eat for two hours, we've had court first, we've had court last,
we've had dinner, then court, then the banquetting table, etc etc etc.

works for us! In fact, it was once suggested that we make Baronial Banquet
into t less formal event and you woulda thought we were suggesting to take
away the senior prom. geesh! :)

We also have tourney events, and in fact, to have some sort of feasty type
thing is the exception, not the rule, if there's fighting.

interkingdom anthropology is so fun! ;)
- --AM