SC - SCA Cook's at Estrella War

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Mon Jan 25 16:38:55 PST 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> On a side note, the recipes that you have redacted or included in your books
> that follow the period source exactly and do not contain salt, at least the
> ones that i have tried without anytweaking, are extraordinarily edible, so my
> comments were not meant to be a reflection of your work or expertise in this
> area. I apologize if I seemed to make that impression. 'Take a Thousand Eggs'
> is one of the first books that I think of when someone asks for a
> recommendation for feast recipe sources. :-) However, I have not tried a
> period chicken recipe that does not include salt from your work. Considering
> your post, I suppose it is about time I did. :-)
>
> A fan,
> Ras

I have to concur that the reactions I have gotten from feeding people using
Cindy's recipes have been overwhelming.(as in GOOD)  It has encouraged others to
get copies.  As a matter of fact, I have an older copy that was passed to me by a
friend about 3 or 4 years ago that got me cooking, and my parents loved some of
the recipes I did so much that I got the new 2 volume copy for xmas this year as a
bonus gift.  (only I got it on my birthday on the 11th of Jan  because it didn't
arrive in time for xmas.  it was a pleasant surprise! But I go off on tangent
again.)
One question I do have: On page 65 in Volume 1, boiled flounder, I have not yet
tried this recipe (but I like fish boils so i can't wait) and it recommends
combining water, salt, ale and bringing to a boil.  I have used dark stout beer in
a cabbage soup as flavoring, but I am wondering what type to try here.  I don't
object to trying different ales, but wondering if anyone has had success or
failure with a particular type. Do I want a stronger flavor or ?
One reason I ask is because when I used to cook brats in beer, miller was ok,
genuine draft was sorta ok, budweiser gave a bad taste.  So this time, I am
thinking maybe a homemade triple bock or pale ale?
(Oh, I am doing a period feast for a camping event this summer for a grand meeting
of my household, and being most are viking or celtic, most early period, fish
would definately be an item on the menu.  and since it's outdoors, being able to
do a fish boil in my large pot on tripod is a plus! I will post menu ideas when I
create one.)
Lady Elisabeth of Pendarvis