private-Re: SC - split peas

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Jan 26 21:35:29 PST 1999

Ilyana Barsova suggested:
> When I was very young we used to eat at a local pancake house that came
> around to all the tables with apple fritters dusted with powdered sugar.
> They were hot and very delicious.  However, they never served them all at
> once as a dish, (they were not on the menu), they just sent around a few
> waiters with trays of fresh fritters.  The waiters simply returned to the
> kitchen for fresh ones when they ran out (which was usually very quickly).
> Why not just serve the fritters continuously throughout the feast instead
> of making it a course to be served at a specific time?

oooh! I like this idea. I do think that the fritter servers should start
serving again where they left off, not for instance starting at the head
table each time. Otherwise those at the opposite side of the hall are
likely to get missed and testy. I would be.

As much as I like the idea though, I have to ask: Is there any evidence
of servers that moved around the room? Or were servers assigned to a
particular table or particular people? Or did the guests bring their own
servers, as some apparently brought their own cooks?
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html ****