SC - breakfasts

Ian van Tets ivantets at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Wed Jan 27 16:32:05 PST 1999

Hello the list!

Allison wrote:

> I would guess they were handed a dried, salted fish, like a smoked
> kipper.  The kippers may have been cooked, and piled on a huge platter
> for people pick up.  The pottage would have been served in a bowl, I
> think, and the overnight cooking was most likely the way.  If they
> bothered to spice, or sweeten it for farm workers, it was probably done
> early, as the pottage was brought up to hot on a fresh fire.

Yes, that was my guess about the porridge, since we do that anyway.
One of the things I was speculating about was whether the salt fish
(my source, claimed by Elizabeth Burton to be Thomas Tusser) was
cooked in any way or crushed and served in a virtual powder form the
way many Chinese have dried fish these days on their breakfast
congee.  And, I suppose, whether the fish was stirred into the
porridge or whether you ate it separately (tho' I imagine that will
be clear if/when we ever work out what the serving method was).  Any
further clues?

Cairistiona