SC - serrated knife blades

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Wed Jan 27 17:14:54 PST 1999

Hullo, the list!

After having posted the following, I went and ran a bunch of errands,
and have had time to reflect on what I wrote. I wouldn't want to be
thought to be casting aspersions upon anybody's knife skills. I only
meant that after most of a lifetime of growing real tomatoes, slicing
them, slicing them for a living,  judging between good and bad tomatoes
for a living, and using both serrated and non-serrated knives to slice
them, I've come to what I regard as an informed conclusion that serrated
knives aren't necessary for slicing tomatoes and other delicate foods,
as long as your knife is sharp enough.

The above claim is not intended as a criticism of anyone else, just a
statement of fact regarding my own experience over a period of years,
and I hope nobody regarded it as anything else.

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 1/27/99 5:05:31 AM US Mountain Standard Time, troy at asan.com
> > writes:
> >
> > >  Tomatoes are never an exception; if they give you trouble you
> > >  need to learn to sharpen a knife
> >
> > You've obviously only tried to slice those pink plastic balls sold in grocery
> > stores labeled "tomatoes" that have no true relationship to real tomatoes
> > grown in dirt in the sunshine.  A real tomato's skin is paper thin, and only
> > fleetingly connected to the delicate flesh beneath, which is bursting with
> > juices and soft and lovely.  Slicing with a straight edged knife leaves
> > bruises, tears the skin, and crushes the flesh.
>
> Sorry, but I repeat:
>
> >  Tomatoes are never an exception; if they give you trouble you
> >  need to learn to sharpen a knife.
>
> I've grown my own tomatoes, on and off, since I was about four. I know a
> real tomato when I see one, and I know how hard they can be to slice
> effectively. I also know how to sharpen a knife.
>
> Adamantius
> --
> Phil & Susan Troy
>
> troy at asan.com