SC - Koge Bog (was: Nerve Bisquits???)

Oughton, Karin (GEIS, Tirlan) Karin.Oughton at geis.ge.com
Thu Jan 28 04:03:34 PST 1999

Oops!  That will teach me to check my documentation before I report
someone else's findings!  Tusser's poem 'The Good Housewife'  reads
'Call servants to breakfast, by day star appear/ a snatch to wake
fellows, but tarry not here./  Let huswife be carver, let pottage be
eat,/ a dishful each one with a morsel of meat.'
Elizabeth BUrton herself says (completely unsubstantiated) that
artisans  ate a breakfast of 'bread, salt herring,
cold meat, pottage, cheese and ale'.  I suppose the fish would be
more important in fast days.
She also says that Queen Elizabeth's breakfast was 'manchet, ale,
beer, wine and a good pottage made of mutton or beef' (again
unsupported).

I wish I could remember where the salt fish and pottage reference was
then.

Does anyone have any clues as to real documentation of this stuff?

Cairistiona