SC - Cookery-Art or Science

Thu Jan 28 14:09:28 PST 1999

Not a sweet fruit phyllo dough things, but well worth trying...
years ago, working in San Francisco, I went to a company picnic
that had "best appetizer" and "best dessert" cooking contests.
(I wondered what I'd done wrong, then I realized I was trying
to make everything *period*.  the dessert winner won on chocolate
overload, obviously.  :-))

However, I did capture and take away the basic procedure for the
winning appetizer, which I've served several times at more
casual potlucks:

Pkg. of phyllo dough

Open on cookie sheet and brush each leaf with melted butter.
(Melt a stick of butter to do this--should be more than enough.)

Mix together a large "thing" of ricotta cheese and a good
handful or two of grated Parmesan (depending on the size of
your hands...and I love Parmesan) and spread evenly on phyllo.
Dot with marinated artichoke hearts (1-2 jars, again depending
on your passion for same--I did fine with one jar).  Starting
at one long end roll; seal edge with melted butter and pinch
ends down.

Bake at 350 until phyllo is nicely browned (it will get browner
and crispier on the ends.)  Slice and serve.

Berengaria