SC - filo dough

Bonita Plunk dasbonster at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 29 05:43:35 PST 1999

LYN M PARKINSON wrote:

> Cairistiona,
>
> I had to laugh, today, due to this theme.  I've got a head-splitting flu,
> so tucked myself in bed with peach tea and _Beau Geste_.  There's a scene
> of the country house upper class breakfast, with the rows of silver
> dishes on the sideboard.  One man has heaped eggs, sausage, bacon, etc.
> on his plate.  Another tells him it's a good effort, why doesn't he put
> kedgeree on the top?  He replies it's already there--bottom layer.  IIRC,
> kedgeree is salted fish, perhaps with Indian spices?

There's an enormous wealth of material for food humor in British
fiction. Two P.G. Wodehouse novels, "Something New", and "Brinkley
Manor" have marvelous slapstick scenes of midnight intrigues, raids on
the larder, and ignominious discovery. "Brinkley Manor"'s
steak-and-kidney-pie chase scene is one of the most brilliant things
I've ever read, albeit described after the fact. This scene actually
found its way into a BBC dramatization of the book in their "Jeeves aned
Wooster" series, with Hugh Laurie and Steven Fry, in 1990 or so...

Kedgeree, though, speaking of porridge, is a porridge-y dish of rice
cooked with cream, curry spices, hard-boiled eggs, and flaked smoked
fish (at least for a British subject; kitchree, the original Indian
dish, is more of a vegetarian spiced rice pilaf with lentils).

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy