SC - New mailing list - Gode Cookery

Margo Farnsworth margokeiko at esslink.com
Fri Jan 29 08:17:31 PST 1999

> Well, some people do slice cold leftover grits and fry in lard or bacon fat,
> but I never did it.  Like my grits too well warm to have any leftovers to get
> cold.

I think my mother sometimes made fried cornmeal mush but I haven't in a
while. But I think I may do some next week. I did make some oatmeal (the
good round stuff, not the flakes) and fried up some of that with salt and
a touch of butter. Wonderful!

> In re the earlier discussion on how to serve porridge, in my part of the
> world, grits were served with salt and butter.  Period.  Was shocked and
> embarrassed once when a Yankee cousin put grape jelly on hers.  Learned a bit
> more tolerance over the years, but still haven't learned to eat grits sweet.

Sara likes grits with bacon stirred in. I like mine sweet or mixed with a
fried egg.

> Mordonna

Gunthar