SC - Cariadoc's story-OT

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Jan 29 20:17:19 PST 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> The translated recipe in The Andalusian Cookbook, 'Another Kind of Flank', pg,
> A-5, vol. II of Cariadoc's 'Collection  of.......', describes what is
> obviously a stuffed lamb's breast not a flank. (The translator acknowledges
> this in the footnote).
>
> In the same recipe this line occurs:
>
> '...enclose it in a tannur; place under it an earthen pot in which what melts
> from the flank can drip...'.
>
> Am I correct in assuming that this word 'tannur', which was left untranslated
> and unfootnoted, was some kind of a grate or vessel with holes in the bottom
> through which the grease could drip? Would a redaction calling for the stuffed
> breast to be put in a roasting pan on a raised grate be somewhat accurate?
>
> Ras

Coulda sworn a tannur is a Persian underground, barrel-shaped oven,
cognate to the Indian tandoor. The usage does seem a bit awkward, but I
suspect what is meant is som ething like putting the meat directly on
the rack of a really hot oven, with a drip-pan underneath.

Adamantius, Navajo Fry-bread King
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com