SC - Hallo

Reia M. Chmielowski kareina at eagle.ptialaska.net
Sat Jan 30 02:02:52 PST 1999

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Reia M. Chmielowski wrote:

> Where does one get primary sources?  Haven't they been "out of print" for
> hundreds of years?

At the library, oddly enough. These books we refer to so often, such as
the _Menagier_, _Le Viandier_, _Curye on Inglysch_, etc., are frequently
found on the shelves of a well-stocked college library (and I know you
know how to use one ;-). Not the physical manuscript written in
13-whatever, but facsimiles- some lucky duck got close enough to the real
thing to read it, wrote it down, and published it. Sharon Butler and
Constance Hieatt were frequent partners in such things. If I am not
mistaken Cindy Renfrow did some facsimilies (correct me if I'm wrong
please Cindy). U of O has some in the EETS (Early English Text Society)
shelves. They are, of course, in Middle English, French, whatever the
manuscript is. Middle English is fairly easy with a gloss or a ME
dictionary. They are, of course, not redacted. Generally, when something
has been redacted, we call it secondary.
	Did that help any, or am I up way too late?

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731