SC - Another Andalus question- easier

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Jan 30 12:38:19 PST 1999

At 9:39 PM -0500 1/29/99, Bonne wrote:
>All the talk of preserving beef by "corning" it got me to thinking that's what
>the recipe for Lord's Salt was, wasn't it?  But no, that's cooked meat placed
>in spiced vinegar to preserve it.  There's not a bit of salt in it.  Cariadoc,
> why then is it called Lord's SALT?

One shall take cloves and mace, cardamom, pepper, cinnamon, ginger an equal
weight of each except cinnamon, of which there shall be just as much as of
all the others, and as much baked bread as all that has been said above.
And he shall cut it all together and grind it in strong vinegar; and put it
in a cask. That is their salt and it is good for half a year.

The obvious explanation is either that it is called a "salt" because, like
salt, it is being used to preserve meat, or that there is a mistranslation
from the latin. I have a vague memory of an etymological link between sauce
and salt, with salsa as evidence.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/