SC - payn ragoun

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Sat Jan 30 17:45:20 PST 1999

>At 6:24 PM +0000 1/30/99, Ian van Tets wrote:
<snip>, except for what I have picked up, but I do have
>>Middle and New High German.  What I came up with is:  perhaps
>>'thriddendele' means 'drittes Teil' - that is, 'of pines a third
>>part' meaning a third of the weight/volume of the sugar & honey?
>
>Very good. According to the glossary of _Curye on Englysche_, it means "a
>third part. .. probably one third each." It sounds as though Maggie Black
>is not a reliable redactor.

Agreed.  1/3 part pine nuts. No breadcrumbs - perhaps she was confusing
this with gyngerbrede.

<snip>

>>Is the powder thing a fault of mine, do you think, or an aspect of
>>the dish itself?  I boiled the syrup until it hung together, ie.
>>until a ball dropped into water retained its shape but was softish.
>
>My guess is that it is a result of using sugar instead of honey, but I
>haven't tried it. In making hulwa, if I use sugar I get a brittle candy
>(roughly divinity), if I use honey it comes out soft and squishy. I have
>never yet succeeded in cooking honey down to a point where that doesn't
>happen, and suspect it can't be done.
>

>David/Cariadoc
>http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

It should have come out more like a thick taffy, esp. if you used honey, as
the original intended.  I've (over)cooked honey down till it formed a
brittle when cool, but I'd advise against it. It did not taste good at all
& left hard inedible bits in the mouth.

There's a similar recipe for pynade in 1000 Eggs that calls for honey,
ginger, galingale, cinnamon, pepper, grains of paradise, pine nuts, (&
chicken! - optional).  And another for pynade in Forme of Cury that calls
for honey, radish roots, brown sugar, pepper, saffron, and almonds.

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net
Recipes"