SC - Cookery-Art or Science- Weird Results

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 31 18:30:02 PST 1999

Can anyone explain to me the apparent scarcity of period cooks in the
Atenveldt area?  I KNOW there are several good cooks from this list who live
in the Kingdom.
The reason for my concern is the discovery that there is a dearth of
documented period recipes and redactions in the printed literature here.  The
last three newsletters of one barony has had nine recipes in print.  NONE of
which were even fully period as to ingredients.  The Atenveldt Cooks Guild put
out a cookbook without a single primary recipe or without any documentation
for the recipes.  Most of the recipes in the book included New World
ingredients.
I know I cannot be the only one in the entire Kingdom who thinks it is
important for people who wish to recreate the Middle Ages to learn what
Medieval cooking is.
>From the research, and redactions I have done in the last two years it is
apparent to me that Medieval cooking is as tasty and inexpensive as mundane
food of the same quality, and not a bit more difficult.  I know truly
authentic armor is difficult, it is expensive.  Truly authentic garb is
expensive, and takes quite a bit of research and talent.  But truly authentic
food is no more expensive nor difficult than mundane food, so what is the
roadblock?

Mordonna