SC - "In a Caliph's Kitchen"

Devra@aol.com Devra at aol.com
Sun Jan 31 19:38:12 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/31/99 8:04:44 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
mlegge at dph.uwa.edu.au writes:

> .  Mine was a
> friends tart -- a sort of very cheesy/egg tart.  Each tart had a quarter
> teaspoon of powdered ginger, an eighth of a teaspoon of nutmeg and a pinch
> a saffron for flavoring (together with 3/4 cup of cream or other soft
>  cheese, a cup of grated swiss cheese and two eggs - all measurements are
>  metric).

What was your source?  Is it a primary source?  Most primary medieval sources
do not give measurements, and certainly not metric measures.  It is my opinion
that Medieval cooks were not nearly so heavy handed with spices as we are
given to believe by some secondary sources.  For one thing, spices were darned
expensive.

Mordonna