SC - cooking chemistry questions

Reia M. Chmielowski kareina at eagle.ptialaska.net
Sun Jan 3 08:10:03 PST 1999

Greetings,

I was in an experimental mood yesterday and tried something new for dinner
(out of my own imagination, not inspired by any cook-books or recipes I'd
seen).  I had a good sized round loaf of bread I'd not yet sliced (having
not yet finished the first loaf), so I cut open the top, pulled out the
crumbs, cooked some red lentils in chicken broth with spices (also added
extra spices to the crumbs), and then got creative.  I added grated orange
peel to the cooking lentils, and squeezed the orange juice over the crumbs.
  I also let a good bit of pulp (in tiny bits) go into the crumbs.  Then I
poured the lentils and remaining broth over the crumbs and put it all into
the bread crust, wrapped it in foil and set it aside for a while.  A bit
before the time my roommate would be due home from work I put the loaf in
the oven to bake.

The bread crumb-lentil-orange mixture was quite tasty when first mixed, and
the orange wasn't overpowering--the spices (I think I used turmeric,
nutmeg, ginger, saffron, cubebs, grains of paradise, galingale, cumin,
chilli powder, pepper, garlic and onion salt) were still noticeable.
However, once it came out of the oven the orange was the predominate
flavor, and it was slightly bitter.  I still found it enjoyable.  However,
one of my roommates found it barely edible, and then only after he added
sugar.  He said that the orange was just too much for him.  The other
roommate said that he was neutral on the whole thing and ate it without
complaint (but without the compliments that my cooking usually get from him).

Which brings me to the questions.  Can anyone explain to me what it is that
would make the orange mellow before and strong after?  Was it more due to
the heat of baking, or the sitting an hour or so before baking?  Was the
very different reactions due solely to the differences in what people are
able to distinguish?--I know that some people are able to taste/smell
things that other people can't detect.  To avoid triggering the reaction in
him again should I:  1) skip the orange all together?  2) use less orange,
but still use all parts?  3) use only the zest?  4) use only the juice?  6)
use much more spices (curry style) to make that stronger than the orange?
5) is there any reason I should have avoided including the pulp?  Any other
comments/suggestions?

Thanks,

- --Kareina