SC - Fruit sauce (clarification)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jan 4 13:21:11 PST 1999

Avelina explained:
> Just to make myself clear, I was looking for a sweet sauce made *from*
> fruits, not for fruits.  Basically, I want to make a period sauce to pour
> over period polenta.  I was thinking a fresh raspberry sauce would be
> heavenly.  If the sauce can be made from different fruits, that would be
> cool too. That way I can use stuff in season.

I have pasted two messages below from the fruits-msg file in the FOOD section
of my Florilegium. The first is for a gooseberry sauce (post 1600) and the
second, an apple sauce from within period. Perhaps the gooseberry recipe
can be modified to use raspberries?

You might also check these other files in the FOOD section to see if they
have other recipes for sauces:
fruit-apples-msg  (30K)  8/28/98    Period apples and apple recipes.
fruit-pears-msg   (21K)  8/31/98    Period pears and pear recipes.
fruit-quinces-msg (24K)  6/24/98    Period uses and recipes for quinces.

Stefan

- -------------------
> Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 17:56:31 -0500
> From: "Decker, Terry D." <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US>
> Subject: RE: SC - Apple Butter Update
>
> > On Sat, 13 Jun 1998, Decker, Terry D. wrote:
> > > Since the chief difference between modern applesauce and modern apple butter
> > > is the amount of sugar used, being heavy handed with the honey might get you
> > > apple butter.
> >
> > I have a question on this. Since it's the sugar that sort of carmelizes
> > and creates the "butter", wouldn't using honey affect that?
> >
> > ~Maedb
>
> The full quote dealt with Appulmoy, a period dish.  The recipe gives no
> quantities, so it could be made with a little honey or a lot of honey.
> Since honey can do something that looks a lot like carmelization, the recipe
> might produce something similar to apple butter.  I don't know, I haven't
> tried it, and I am not as experienced with this particular aspect of cooking
> as some of the other people on the list.
>
> In case you wish to test the recipe:
>
> Appulmoy.  Take apples and seethe hem in water.  Drawe hem thurgh a stynnor.
> Take almande mylke and hony and floer of rys, safron, and powdor-fort, and
> salt, and seeth it stondyng.
>
> - --Forme of Cury
>
> Bear
- --