SC - Re: Pennsic sartorial savvy

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Mon Jan 4 15:06:25 PST 1999

Hi y'all!
	I just read the seneschal's letter re: dress at Pennsic. It looked
ok, though I would agree the 'European nobility' stuff is a little euro-
and noble-centric. I have always understood our aim was towards Europe
and cultures and lands that the Europeans had contact with, such as
Saracens of all stripes (and plaids too! I can document them!), Mongols,
Vikings, folks from India, Cathay, and even Japan. And so far as nobility,
we must _conduct_ ourselves as though noble (I like to tell new folks that
we are assumed to be gentle nobles unless we prove ourselves otherwise),
though our pocketbooks might tell us to 'play' middle class or working
class. Come to think of it, One of my favorite and adamant 'peasants', who
routinely goes barefoot at events in all sorts of weather, was Pelled
recently. A very noble peasant.
	In all, I thought the letter was reasonable, though slightly open
to misinterpretation. Might clog up the Seneschal's Court with stoooopid
complaints, but nothing major.

'Lainie (once a seneschal, always a pointy-haired boss...;-D)

P.S.- Gentle Lord Ras- get yourself a bowl of muhallabija, and a couple of
aspirin. It'll be ok. :-)
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731