SC - Going a bit OT - Pine nuts part of nut allergies?

Stapleton, Jeanne jstaplet at mail.law.du.edu
Wed Jan 6 09:05:30 PST 1999

Good Gentles,

Since many receipes have been redacted to include pine nuts, I'm wondering
if pine nuts make people react who have nut allergies?

Your pardon if this has been discussed before. As people are not changing
the subject headers when the topic shifts, I've not been reading the Pine
nut thread.

	Rosalyn:  I can't speak for everyone who has a sensi-
	tivity or allergy to nuts, but personally I'm not
	sensitive to pine nuts.  I was told that they're
	"a genera apart"--Anne-Marie probably knows more.

	Allergies and sensitivities are highly individual,
	which is why the basic SCA cooks line has been to
	provide an ingredients list and not to try to cook
	around every single allergy--although I'm in favor
	of a much more compassionate approach than is
	often touted here, since none of us asked for
	these allergies and sensitivities nor did anything
	by our evil lifestyle choices to bring them on.  :-)
	Anne-Marie (not to pick on you, AM) posted some-
	thing once about the most common allergies or sensi-
	tivities, which differed from what the allergist I
	saw told me:  he said that the most common allergies
	(I'm guessing he meant in North America) were tomatoes,
	shellfish and nuts.  I once made the observation here
	that I'm sensitive to all nuts except peanuts and pine
	nuts, and someone else posted "why should an ability
	to eat peanuts matter with an SCA feast?"--because
	I've known people to cook with peanut oil, or a combi-
	nation that had peanuts in it, because that's what
	they had handy; and because in other situations I've
	been known to consume a Reese's or a Snickers and
	then been attacked by last week's feast cook wanting
	to know why I "lied" to her and said I couldn't eat
	"her" walnut chicken at the feast.  People in the SCA
	are very protective of "their" food; it's sometimes
	a matter of pride to them that you taste their food,
	even if you're trying to politely refuse with a real
	food sensitivity; just because it "just" gives you
	migraines or itchy red hives (chocolate and nuts for
	me, in that order, neither thing fatal I'll be the
	first to admit) doesn't mean they're worth putting
	up with just to sample something.

Berengaria