SC - Bread

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 7 19:50:34 PST 1999

Donna Hrynkiw wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Mahanna wrote:
> > Although I do have a
> > question for those bread bakers among you [...]
> > I had used 1 cup water instead of the 1/4 cup it
> > should have been so instead of 1 cup milk I used 1/4 cup. [...]
> > The bread is great but I am curious if correcting the boo boo would make
> > it better?
> > Morwenna
>
> Somebody already mentioned that using milk as part of the liquid
> in bread makes it richer (which is true), but something in the back
> of my mind says that it also makes the crust softer.

That something may have been the ghost of Elizabeth David, cause thats one of
the things she says in "English Bread and Yeast Cookery". (Guess what Santa
brought me?! I made Butteries for my dear husband, who says they are enough
like the Butteries he ate as a kid when they went "home" to Brae Mar.)

Bonne