SC - Interkingdom Anthropology??

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Thu Jan 14 08:14:13 PST 1999

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> I don't see these 2 as mutually exclusive. Certainly if you use Fabulous
> Feasts as a source of recipes then you'll have a disastrously awful tasting
> feast but if you use carefully redacted recipes, a historical feast will be
> just as tasty as or even better than any modern feast. The event goers in my
> area not only expect but almost demand an attempt at period or period-like
> food. Our shire has not served anything but period or period like at any feast
> we've presented for the past 7 or 8 years. A goodly number of people who bring
> dishes to pass at picnics and other gatherings of that type oftentimes make it
> a point of apologizing for bring non-period dishes.
>
> Ras

Absolutely right, your Ras-ness, for where you live.  But it doesn't work
that way in many areas.  A feast may be done that is what I call
"RenFaire fare" with roasted chickens or turkey legs or maybe a big beef
roast, sometimes including corn and potatoes (especially in stews), and
maybe a nice cake for dessert.  Coffee served after dinner, of course.
People eat well, are happy, and toast the cook.

Ras, I started out doing meals like this and being happy with them.

Expectations for period food and feasting are very different in different
areas of the SCA.  Of the places I have lived, the East and Atlantia seem
to have the highest expectations for both quality and historicity.  You
are a lucky man, Ras.

Elaina