SC - Mashed Smashed dishes

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Sat Jan 16 19:02:09 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>> I wonder if anyone has heard of any other cultures with this type of
>> traditional "mashed up together" combination dish?

>Sorry, I forgot to mention:

>English (as well as other countries') sailors used to eat a rather
>widely despised dish called, if I remember it correctly, lobscouse,
>which was a sort of hash of potatoes or ship's biscuit, added to salt
>meat boiled to rags, and cooked until the liquid was absorbed. I'd have
>to check on details, but that's my recollection of it.

i.e. a hash type dish.  Interesting.

>There´s also a recipe for plokkfiskur, boiled fish mashed with a wooden
>mallet. Then some cream (or milk), butter and flour is added, and perhaps
>some raisins. (This is still a popular dish but chopped onion has replaced
>the raisins). Another version from the book but now forgotten uses dried,
>pounded fish, mixed with some mashed "yellow roots" (either carrots or
>swedes).

This and the hash type recipe above are similar to the original dishes I'd mentioned
but with the addition of either a meat or fish into the mash.

As an aside, in Britain we also have "fishcakes" which are breaded patties of mashed fish
and potato - fried.  And we have "Rissoles" which are mashed meat onions and potato in
batter and deep fried.  They are usually sold at Fish and Chips shops as a cheaper
alternative to go with the chips.

"Potch Erfyn" and "Stwns" are more similar to the second version of "plokkfiskur" above as
it seems the dried pounded fish is mixed with the "yellow roots" and then served on the
plate like a side dish (I'm supposing this anyway).  The similarity of the dishes certainly
makes sense of the Viking origin of this type of dish doesn't it?

Elysant