SC - Venison sausage-update

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Sun Jan 17 09:47:17 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

><< Is this a period mustard horseradish sauce?  >>

>No. <gasp> I simply took a commercial horseradish mustard and thined it out
>with ale. The ingredients list on the mustard container stated that it
>contained "mustard, horseradish, sugar, vinegar". I felt you couldn't get
>closer to period than that. :-)

Here's a Welsh Horseradish based sauce.  This "unusual" sauce apparently
should be served with veal.  It was in a book of traditional Welsh recipes.  I
don't know how old it is.

Suryn Cyffaith Poeth

6 lemons, 2 oz horseradish, 1lb salt, 6 cloves of garlic, 1/4 oz cloves,
1/4 oz mace, 1/4 oz nutmeg, 1/4 oz cayenne, 2 oz mustard, 2 quarts malt
vinegar

Cut the lemons into eighths and cover with salt.  Cut the horseradish very
finely, then place with the rest of the ingredients in a big jar that has a
lid.  Place the jar in a boiler of water (with the water coming to within 2
inches from the rim of the jar).  Bring to the boil and boil for 15 minutes.
Stir the mixture every day for six weeks, and keep the lid on.  At the end of
six weeks strain the mixture into small bottles and cork tightly.  This will
keep for years, a little will go far.

Elysant