SC - Bruet of Sarcynesse

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Jan 18 10:55:49 PST 1999

At 12:15 PM -0500 1/18/99, Margo Farnsworth wrote:

>For To Make a Bruet of Sarcynesse:
>

>Take the flesh of the fresh beef and cut it all in pieces and bread and
>fry  it in fresh grease take it up and dry it and do it in a vessel with
>wine and  sugar and powder of cloves, boil it together till the flesh have
>drunk the  liquor and take the almond milk and quibibs maces and cloves
>and boyl them  together, take the flesh and do thereto and mix it forth.
>(Ancient Cookery,  1381)

>Here is my interpretation of the recipe:

>4 slices bread fried in 4 tbsp. butter

>Tear the bread into small pieces and put into a large pot. Add the sugar
>and  ½ tsp. cloves and the bottle of wine. Bring to a boil and try to mash
>the  bread with a fork. Add the beef and continue boiling for 1 hour,
>stirring  occasionally as it tends to stick to the bottom, until the beef
>becomes tender.  Meanwhile, boil the almond milk with the remaining spices
>until it becomes  thick. When the beef becomes tender, add the almond milk
>mixture and serve.
- ---
As I read the original, you are supposed to be combining cut up beef with
bread and frying them in grease, then boiling it with the wine etc. In your
interpretation, you fry the bread, but the beef is only boiled.

Note that in order for your interpretation to work, you have to assume that
"it" means only the bread the first time it is used, but means bread plus
beef the fourth time ("do it in a vessel"), which seems a bit unlikely.

Other than that, you seem to have followed the original fine; not having
tasted it, I can't judge the result.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/