SC - Corned beef

Louise Sugar dragonfyr at tycho.com
Wed Jan 20 11:14:21 PST 1999

I make my own corned beef so it is as lean as I like it......

After corning I take it out, wash it and set it to soak in clean water
overnight/for 18-24 hrs, changing the water every 6 hrs or so.  I start it
about 4 hours before we are to eat adding enough water to come 3/4 of the
way up the side of the meat and then adding enough beer/ale (homebrewed in
my case) to cover...cook about 2.5 hrs and then take the meat out and cut
off most of the fat (discard fat)...add another 6 - 8 oz ale to liquor and
simmer about 15 min ( I do this while I am cutting the fat off the meat)
Simmer for another hour or so...take meat out, add cabbage, small red
potatoes, quartered onions, 2 stalks of celery, halved carrots and a small
bay leaf bringing back to a simmer...then I put the meat back in on top of
the veggies and simmer til the taters, carrots and cabbage are
pierceable....serve with butter sprinkled with kosher or sea salt and lots
of homebrewed ale

(And I wonder why I can never seem to lose weight  :D)