SC - SC 15th Century food help

Rebecca E Tants retants at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 20 11:22:09 PST 1999

>The local group is doing an
>event  in April they will call "Masqued Bawl".  Not a clue what it is
>going to entail, other than be something like Mardi Gras.
>They want the
>feast to consist of 15th century Italian/French/English pre lenten
>food.

I'm doing one of those Feb 13th - Italian only.  Actually, I'm doing
that exactly, since we're focusing on Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday/Carnival
and I'm cooking everything from Platina (I just got a copy from Food
Heritage Press!) who is 15th century Italian.  The dishes will be chosen
for not just that period/location but also the season in general
(february, ie winter crops) and the holiday (fat tuesday was the day
they got rid of all the stuff that would go bad if they didn't eat it
before Lent, and lent this year starts February 17th).

If you can wait until I finish it, I can provide you with an entire,
documented feast that can be produced for $5/head for 100 people.  I'm
currently in the "test-cook my interpretations of Platina" stage and
will be doing the full menu for 8 in a couple of weeks to get the
balance right, but intend to post the entire menu, recipes and a
post-mortum afterwards.  All I ask is the appropriate credits and you're
welcome to use it!

One question, though - why are they doing it in April?

Caitlen Ruadh
Delftwood, AEthelmearc