SC - 14th Century Food

Thu Jan 21 07:00:21 PST 1999

> I think the situation is somewhat similar with strawberries. There are
> wild
> old world strawberries, but they are much smaller than what we think of as
> strawberries.

Fragaria vesca is normally considered the Old World strawberry.  They
apparently have never been in common cultivation, although the wild plants
were occasionally transplanted into gardens.  F. moschata, the musky
strawberry, is also European.  Both have distinct flavors.

F. virginiana, was introduced to Europe in the 17th Century.  F. chiloensis
was introduced to Europe in the 18th Century.  Most modern strawberries are
hybrids based on the North American and Chilean species which easier to
cross breed than the European plants.

For a more complete revelation, I suggest:  Darrow, George M., The
Strawberry, History, Breeding and Physiology; Holt, Rinehart & Winston, New
York, 1966.

> Also, Margo writes: "Hartshorn was used as a leavening, if you include it
> why not have yeast listed?"
>
> What is the evidence that Hartshorn was used as a leavening in the 14th
> century? Anytime in our period?
>
> David Friedman

Baron Tibor places hartshorn within period based on a conversation on
another list.  However, no primary source is listed, which makes the
reference questionable.  Reference Stefan's Florilegium for the citation:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/bread-msg.html

Bear