SC - Cassia bark vs Cinnamon

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sat Jan 23 16:55:33 PST 1999

At 05:43 PM 1/22/99 EST, Ras said...
>Cassia is what is normally available in the supermarkets labeled as
'cinnamon'
>It's flavor is harsh and dominating with a burning bitter aftertaste. The
>sticks themselves are very hard and the layers are very thick. When ground it
>produces a very deep reddish-brown powder.
>
>True cinnamon is more subtle in flavor and has a definite sweet after taste.
>The sticks are very brittle and are composed of numerous layers of almost
>paper thin bark. When ground it is lighter is color.
>
>Each type comes from a different species of cinnamon tree.
>
>If you want a subtle, sweet almost perfumy flavor that reminds you of  the
>rapture of a harp or an elusive flute solo then True cinnamon is for you. If
>you prefer the effect of a brass band then cassia would be your choice. :-)

Ras you are so right. Just recently I coordinated a pot luck for our 12th
Night (more on this in another posting) and made Ypocras and Mulled Cider
for the sideboard. I received a whole bag of goodies (whole spices) from
friends that had visited Granada last year and I used some of the cinnamon
bark. What a difference!! You have described the ensuing flavour down to a
T. I noticed the difference immendiately, although I suspect most gentles
wouldn't have.

Micaylah
- -who has been lurking for far too long-

If quitters never win, and winners never quit,
what fool came up with "Quit while you're ahead"?