SC - Mustard Recipe #1

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sat Jan 23 20:32:49 PST 1999

This is from 'Libro de Guisados" (Spanish, 1529).  The translation
is mine.

MUSTARD

You must take granular mustard; and clean it of the dust and the
earth and the stones and grind it well in a mortar, and when it is
ground, pass it through a cloth strainer: and then take the mustard
powder and put it in a mortar with a piece of bread crumb* soaked
in meat broth; and crush it all together; and when it is well crushed,
dissolve it with a little bit of lean broth without fat which is well
salted and when it is gradually dissolved so that it should not be
too thin, take honey which is good; and melted on the fire, and
cast it in the mortar and stir it well until it is well mixed and prepare
dishes.  Some cast a little vinegar in the broth, you can add peeled
crushed almonds with the mustard, toasted.

*note: the word here is "migajon" which means a chunk of the
inside part of the loaf, ie., not the crust.

Somebody want to play around with this one?  I'd be tempted,
because it's nice and simple, but as a diabetic, I don't have much
use for honey mustard these days.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)