SC - Salt in Period recipes

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Jan 25 06:17:53 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/25/99 4:13:03 AM Eastern Standard Time, allilyn at juno.com
writes:

<< I'm working on Curye on Inglysch, especially Forme of Cury.  Most
 of the recipes--1390--English--call for salt.  Can't get much more
 medieval than this book. >>

Depends on the manuscript, apparently Forme of Curey includes it. Some other
manuscriprs don't. I'll have to take a look at it again. I haven't redacted
any recipes from it in quite a while simply because it is being concentrated
on by a large number of people to the exclusion of other cultures.

For instance, it has been several days since I asked for info about al-Andalus
and have recieved not a single responce. This tells me that Middle
Eastern/Spanish cookery is a ripe field for study and is where I will be
concentrating my research for quite some time to come. In those manuscripts
salt is not mentioned with any great regularity.

I would contend that English forms of written period recipes are an exception
regarding salt and not a rule. The bottom line is that probably cooks were
expected to know these things if manuscripts don't mention it, IMO.

Ras