SC - Soup Kitchen at Estrella (and other wars)

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 26 10:27:32 PST 1999

It would be good if the original poster or someone familiar with the
specifics of the Estrella soup kitchen difficulties would clarify
things. It is surely possible to do a single period multi-course meal
under the stressful conditions of a multi-day war with minimal
facilities.  Or to cook several meals for a small group of people,
especially those the cook is used to feeding.  But that doesn't sound to
me like what the Estrella Soup Kitchen is.  Here's the restrictions I've
gathered from several posts and some inferences on my part.

the soup kitchen is a day after day affair with the goal of feeding
many, many people something resembling lunch.  Becaue of no nearby
resteraunts, guests flying in from all over and perhaps a lack of food
merchants, many people have no other option for what may be the main
meal of the day. Therefore, the soup kitchen should not serve anything
which conflicts with major allergies, religous requirements or taste
demands and it must be cheap as hell.

There is not a grocery within reasonable distance, so everything must be
carried in. Since it is for several days rather than a single meal,
transportation and storage space are at a premium. There is almost no
cold storage.

The cooking facilities are limited to camp stoves.

Water is a problem as it's got to be carried (after being pumped?) and
heated on those same camp stoves.

Am I too far off the mark?

Also, I've seen some wonderful ideas for single feasts in hard
conditions, but what if these were the conditions you had to work with,
what would you serve?  I suspect that a lot of middle eastern food would
fit the bill.  Disposable dishes might not be avoidable though because
of the washing up problem.

Bonne