SC - new theory on pea broth

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Wed Jan 27 22:53:05 PST 1999

>> These peas when cooked still have there 'husk' on them and do not turn
into a homogenous mush. The broth is relatively clear depending on the
added ingredients.<<

But once their husks are off, you get the same pea puree, minus the pea
broth.  I'm sparing my arthritic fingers, using the split peas.  My broth
may be a little cloudy, but meat stock is sort of 'beige' too.  If I
really need the pea broth to be clear, I could strain through linen.

I realize that Scully refers to 'pea puree', so those were not the
recipes I'm remembering.  They were ones in which the color green would
have been atrocious, as Adamantius points out.  Ras, you said once that
pea beans are navy beans.  Do you use these as a substitute for white
peas, ever?  We get some Goya products, but I'm not sure I've ever seen
white peas.  How long do you cook them before straining, and do you have
to remove husks with the hands, as per Forme of Cury's instructions?

Adamantius, what do you use?  And do you always make the full puree for
your recipes?

Regards,

Allison, full of delicious pea soup!
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA