SC - Breakfast

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jan 28 07:17:40 PST 1999

"Decker, Terry D." wrote, re polenta:

>> Interesting, I normally mold it, slice it and fry it ala Apicius (well,
> actually, ala mother, she was doing it before I knew Apicius existed).  I
> can see polenta being eaten communally from a pot, a bowl, or a platter, but
> given the nature of the dish dumping it on the table is possible, but seems
> wasteful.  Do you happen to have recipes and documentation for the
> particular dish and practice?  If so, please post them, I would like to add
> them to collection of references.

I must shamefacedly admit the best polenta I ever had was made in a
Provencale restaurant I worked in, which we made with plain salted water
and held, cool, for service, at which time we would mash an order
smooth, add a dash of extra-virgin olive oil and a big spoonful of
mascarpone and some grated parmagianno-reggio, and reheat, covered with
plaswrap, _in a microwave_ !!!

The entire mass would leak just a bit of combined olive oil and
butterfat, and we were able to toss it in the plastic bowl (inertia
only, no utensils needed) until it was a smooth, satin-shiny golden
yellow ball, which got garnished with various things like escargots or
chicken oysters. Regardless of garnish, the polenta was surprisingly
good considering the punishment it took.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy