SC - Breakfast

Thu Jan 28 07:28:26 PST 1999

> This is how my husband's family always ate it.  They are from Sicily,
> however, not Italy proper.  When the occassion called for a sauce on the
> polenta, plates or bowls were  used.  It was always made very thick and to
> this
> day my husband hates the stuff!

I wonder if this is a hold over from when the Arabs held Sicily.  In
Northern Italy, thin polenta tends to be served in a bowl and thick polenta
is often molded and served as a fancy loaf.  While corn isn't period,
polenta can be made from any ground cereal.

> Where I'm from we just eat grits, "same thing only different".  I am also
> pleased to say we used bowls or plates...always.
>
> Isabella/Dee

Not quite the same thing, but the principle is the same.  Grits are mealed
hominy.  Modern polenta tends to be regular corn meal.  I've found I prefer
butter, salt and pepper for the grits and the polenta sliced, fried and
served with maple syrup (traditionally that should be honey, but I'll go
Amurican).

So far, I've tried corn, wheat, millet and barley in polenta and it's a toss
up between the millet and the wheat as to which is best.

Bear