SC - favorite knife to use was: serrated knive blades

Reia M. Chmielowski kareina at eagle.ptialaska.net
Fri Jan 29 14:11:36 PST 1999

My favorite knife, which I use for everything but opening cardboard boxes,
is an ulu, the "Eskimo Women's Knife".  It is rounded, and the handle is
directly over the blade--which lends itself very well to rocking back and
forth for chopping veggies etc.  I've never used it to skin an animal, but
have seen films of them being used for that too.  I know the design is
ancient (they made them out of stone before steel was imported to the
northlands), but I don't know if such a knife was used in Europe.

- --Kareina (only two days behind on list-reading now!)